Sunday, January 16, 2011

Details on Zac's week

This is a bit long, but here are all the details for anyone interested.

Tues Zac missed his nap and he was acting a little funny which at first I figured was just because he hadn't had a nap, but as I watched him I thought that maybe he was coming down with something. On Wed afternoon he was still really sensitive, so I took his temperature and he had a low grade temp. Not much to worry about. I gave him some motrin and put him down for a nap. By the evening it was getting worse. His temp was now 102 degrees, but still not too much to worry about. I'd just watch him closely. Thursday morn I figured I'd call the doctor and get him in. His temp was the same, but his energy level and color were not good at all. Just as I thought that I noticed that the whole right side of his neck was quite swollen. I got him in that morning. He wanted me to hold him, but whenever I did it was too uncomfortable and he'd just lay down on the floor where ever he could.

When Dr. Boarman came in he checked his ears, which looked fine. He did a strep test and a flu test and sent us down to get some blood work done. After the bloodwork we came back up to talk to the Dr. again. He said that the strep turned possitive as soon as he put it in the test cup, but the flu was still neggative. He thought tht maybe he had both because he looked so bad. In that case he gave Zac a penicillin shot and sceduled a follow-up for Friday morn.

All day Thursday Zac just laid around moving every so often to a different spot. Asking for food and drink and then looking at it and going to lay down again. Every now and again he would take a sip or two. I just let him sleep where ever and tried to get him to atleast drink something.
















Friday morn we went back to the Dr. I was glad that I already had an appointment, because he wasn't looking any better. Dr. Boarman saw him and said I want you to go to the hospital pediatrics. He thought that maybe there was an absess that the antibiotics couldn't get to. He then called over to the hospital, but they said that they wouldn't be able to get him into see an ENT and do all the tests. They said we should go to the ER. So Dr. Boarman called the ER and had things all set up for us to go there. What fun. In the mean time I had Carson at home with the kids not thinking I would be very long and Karl was at school. So I called my neighbor Barb and had her check in on the kids. Did my best to get a hold of Karl with no success. Just ofter I sent him a text message my phone battery died! I was helpless. So I just sat in the ER with Zac and hoped that everything would be OK.
To my happy surprise Karl came walking in just after the Dr. had come in to look at him. They were about to take him for x-rays, but then descided that they wanted to do a CAT scan on him. So waited on the x-rays and then descided to wait on the CAT scan as well until the ENT could come down to look at him.

That's when Karl left to take care of the kids and hopefully find someone to watch them so he could be at with me in case we needed to make any desicions. He left his computer with me so that enabled me to atleast let people know we were in need of some help. Which worked out nicely for me. We had some GREAT friends call and offer to watch the kids. And more freinds call to watch the kids and more people call to see if they could help and we were very taken care of! THANK YOU, you wonderful people! Karl called our family and they all started to pray for our little Zac.



While Karl was gone the ENT came down and descided that we should try and just take care of it with a bunch of meds before we expose him to any radiation or surgery. They put a IV in his little hand. Before they put anything in him he started to perk up a little bit. Thanks to the prayer from our loved ones! They pumped him full of some fluid, another antibiotic and a steroid. By the time they discharged us it was about 3:30 pm. He was talking a bit and quite responsive, but still swollen and tired.
We went to pick the kids up from the Cullins and Laura made us dinner! He had a good time playing a little bit. It was funny to watch him walk his neck was still so swollen that he'd walk with his head tilted to the left and his right shoulder dropped. I should have gotted a picture of it.
Saturday his swelling started to go down a bit and he ate a little. Still not much. He still slept quite a bit, and he was momma's cuddle boy all day. Joy was so nice to bring dinner over to us. I'm sure we could have made it, but it was nice to be able to just take care of my little Zac and not have to worry about it.
Sunday (today) he is doing pretty good. He wanted to go to church, but I wanted him to stay home so he could get the rest he needs. He jumped onto the bean bag for the first time this afternoon, so hopefully this is going to completely go away! He is still swollen a little and he went to sleep with out ANY fight, but he's doing great. He has a follow-up appointment with the ENT next week.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all our friends and falmily. We are so appriciative of your help, your love, and your prayers. We love you all.

2 comments:

darcymae said...

sick kiddos are the saddest thing ever! glad he is getting better!!

Unknown said...

Wow! Glad to hear that he is doing better.
Hurray for prayers and good people!